Monday, January 9, 2012

An Accounting of Food

Our diet is what we eat.  It is our food and nutrition habits.  We have each developed our own style and preferences.  Some of it is based upon taste and some upon lifestyle.  If  you lead a very busy life or if you feel exhausted, it is much more likely that you will choose to eat foods that require little or no preparation.  This does not have to mean unhealthy choices, but it usually does for me.

I want to spend some time evaluating my eating habits.  Usually when I try to adopt a more healthy or weight-reducing diet, I am focused only on a list of preferred foods from the diet - or focused on foods the diet does not allow.  This time, I want to approach it from a different perspective.  I want it to start out where I am...not rotated 90 or180 degrees away.

To that end I am beginning a list of foods...food that I like. I started out by listing foods in columns with headings such as fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts/seeds, oils, dairy products.  I have some fairly long lists going.  I plan to make new lists of prepared foods I like such as pizza, fettuccine alfredo, ice cream, chicken pot pie, etc.  This will be ongoing and I am leaving a few pages open to add to the lists. (It isn't possible to remember everything all in one sitting.)

The reason for the list, is so that I can get a good picture of the breadth of foods I enjoy.  I hope to be able to look at them objectively and decide how much and how often I can eat the different foods.  Any diet where I am forbidden to eat something I enjoy, is sure to fail.  Conversely, any diet where I eat whatever I want is certain to push me further down the path to poor health, low self-esteem and more aches and pains.  My task is to put together a plan where I can still enjoy a slice of pizza, but where I can make steady progress toward a healthier weight.

I am hoping that this slow consideration and planning will be the force that overcomes the weariness that prevents me from healthier eating and a more active lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment